Dr John Widger
Paediatric Respiratory and Sleep Physician.
Dr Widger is a Paediatric Respiratory and Sleep Consultant and is the Director of Paediatric Respiratory medicine at Sydney Children’s Hospital Randwick. He is also a conjoint senior lecturer at the University of New South Wales.
John grew up in Ireland where he graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons Medical School in 2001. He began his paediatric training in Dublin before moving to Melbourne in 2004.
He completed his fellowship in Respiratory Medicine at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne and his fellowship in Paediatric Sleep Medicine at the Melbourne Children's Hospital.
- Bachelor of Medicine (2001)
- Bachelor of Surgery (2001)
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland (2003)
- Doctor of Medicine by Thesis (2013)
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (2013)
- American Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Respiratory Executive of the Agency of Clinical Innovation NSW
- Organizing committee of the 11th Australasian CF Conference Sydney 2015
- Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick - Staff Specialist (current)
- Sydney Children's Hospital, Randwick - Head of Respiratory Medicine (current)
- St Luke's Hospital, Pott's Point - Visiting Medical Officer (VMO) (current)
- Paediatric Respiratory Medicine – Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne (2009 – 2011)
- Paediatric Sleep Medicine – Melbourne Children’s Sleep Centre (2012)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea, Cystic Fibrosis, Asthma
- Randwick Specialists - 103 Botany Street, Randwick
- The Children’s Clinic - 312/3 Waverley Street, Bondi Junction
Dr Widger's Publications
"Sleep disordered breathing in preschool children; still smart but for how long?" Sleep Breath. 2015 Dec;19(4):1439-1440. M Vandeleur, J Widger.
"Sleep studies in children on long term non-invasive respiratory support." Sleep and Breathing. 2014. Dec;18(4):885-9. Widger J Davey MJ, Nixon GM.
“Leukotriene antagonists in Asthma" J Paediatr Child Health (2012) (In Press). J Widger, J Massie.
"Exercise capacity in pre pubertal children with CF". ISRN Pulnonlogy Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 578240. E Kilbride, J Widger, B Elnazir, P Greally.
"Management of Asthma in children with long QT Syndrome" Paediatric Respiration Rev 2012 Jun; 13(2) 100-5 S Collins, J Widger, A Davidson, J Massie
"Survey of the management of acute asthma in children. Ir Med J. 2009 Nov-Dec; 102(10):341-2. Widger J, Elnazir B.
"Nitric oxide and asthma in childhood." Irish Medical times 06 Nov 2008. Widger J and Elnazir B.